Falinge Park High School
Opening Doors; Unlocking Potential
Design & Technology
Mr P. Cloran – Subject Lead Design & Technology
‘Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless’ – Thomas Edison
Welcome to Design and Technology.
Design & Technology at Falinge Park provides pupils with a unique opportunity to apply knowledge and skills to realise three-dimensional outcomes. Pupils enjoy learning through making things and all aspects of the D&T curriculum involve practical elements; crucially these construction tasks are underpinned by a theoretical framework. All human activity has an impact and pupils will develop their understanding of the social, moral, cultural and environmental issues we face so they become responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society.
Our Department aims:
- To establish a well ordered, safe space which is conducive to learning, is stimulating yet relaxed, where all pupils feel supported, secure and happy to take calculated risks
- To make explicit the links between D&T and other curriculum areas, especially Mathematics and Science
- To develop a set of transferable skills that pupils enjoy using in school and beyond
- To develop pupils’ problem solving skills and their ability to work independently and in teams, unafraid of making and learning from mistakes
- To enable students to combine their designing and making skills with knowledge and understanding, in order to design, make, analyse and evaluate prototypes models and products