Falinge Park High School
Opening Doors; Unlocking Potential
Ms J Richmond – Head of Technology
“Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.”
– Steve Jobs
Compelling Learning in Product Design
This module consists of 3 separate projects: pupils work individually to design and make a Point of Sale display stand that will be used to promote a product in a shop. They also design and make a scale model of a sofa in order to understand how design movements and anthropometric data influence the size and shape of products. Pupils also work in groups to design and make scale models of bridges, and test them to destruction to see which has the best strength to weight ratio. In the development of their bridge designs pupils also use software to model and test the effectiveness of different structures.
We foster pupils’ love of designing and making products by providing real-life design problems for them to solve, relating to a range of familiar situations in school, at home and in the wider world. Pupils are able to work in a wide range of materials; we find that this variety, combined with the hands-on approach and ability to make important design decisions for themselves, really engages pupils, with many opting to attend extra-curricular sessions in order to further their progress. Pupils are given every opportunity to think, work and develop ideas both independently, and in groups, and present their findings using a wide variety of media. They thrive on opportunities to be independent but we also ensure support is there when needed.
Years 9, 10 and 11
Pupils can opt to study a Technology subject as a GCSE in years 9, 10 and 11 by choosing from Electronics, Engineering, Food, Graphics and Packaging, Resistant Materials and Textiles. All of these subjects are assessed through a combination of Non-Exam Assessment (or NEA) which consists of design, written and practical tasks that take place throughout the course, and an examination which is taken at the end of year 11. For pupils currently in Years 10 and 11, the Controlled Assessment counts for 60% of the final GCSE grade, with the final exam accounting for the remaining 40%. For pupils in year 9 and below the weighting of the NEA will vary between 40% and 60% depending on the subject. As you can see, it is therefore vital that pupils apply themselves to the best of their abilities throughout these courses in order to maximise their chances of success.
We offer lots of opportunities for pupils to participate further in all of our subjects. All teachers run sessions at lunchtimes and after school to enable pupils to attend clubs. Sometimes pupils wish to spend additional time on projects they are undertaking in lessons and sometimes they may wish to try something new in order to further their understanding of the subject and develop their skills even more. The faculty also provides numerous opportunities for trips and other competitions outside of school.